Monday, February 8, 2010

Fortl Lewis Alumni Profile- AHS Digital Arts Teacher Roxy McKnight


Art alumna Roxy McKnight (’08) loves the challenge of ‘building while we sail’ at new charter high school


By the time Roxy McKnight (’08) reached her senior year at Anthony Wayne High School in the small town of Whitehouse, Ohio, she was already set on where she’d attend college—and had visited nearly a dozen times. “My great aunt and uncle live in Durango, and I grew up visiting them every summer from the time I was 8 years old,” says Roxy, whose Uncle Al Mages was the director of Physical Plant Services at Fort Lewis. “I felt inspired out here, and fell in love with the features and the landscape. I knew I’d go to college at Fort Lewis.”


A longtime artist, Roxy quickly declared her major as Art and selected a minor in Psychology. “Being a teacher was always something I thought about,” says Roxy, who taught at the Campbell Child and Family Center on campus for three years. “I liked the idea of helping kids, of working closely with them. I really relate to young people.”


Having attended a Montessori elementary school, Roxy admits that although she knew she wanted to teach, she never pictured herself at a traditional school. After a class with Dr. Richard Fulton, Associate Professor of Teacher Education, Roxy was inspired to take the road less traveled. “Dr. Fulton started an alternative school in Cortez, and I remember thinking, ‘Wow. I want to do that.’”


So when an opportunity arose at the not-yet-opened Animas High School, a charter school with a unique project-based curriculum, it seemed that it was meant to be. Roxy had graduated from Fort Lewis in May 2008 and was substitute teaching in Durango while looking for a permanent position in the Four Corners area. She heard about Animas from a student, and learned that the school needed a digital arts teacher. Lucky for Roxy, AHS’s head of school had heard great things about her from community parents. She was hired within a month—over several applicants with PhDs.


Animas High opened in August 2009 with 76 freshman and seven teachers. Beginning in March, the school will accept students for the class of 2014, and possibly a small group of sophomores to add to the inaugural class.

As the digital art teacher, Roxy is thrilled with the school’s commitment to project-based learning.” Art is a really hands-on, project-based subject, so this is the perfect place for me,” Roxy says. “One of the things I really loved about Fort Lewis was the freedom to explore. I try to bring that same philosophy to my classroom now.”

Being on the ground floor of Animas High’s launch is both challenging and exciting, Roxy says. “Our director always says that we’re building while we sail! When I was looking for a position, I wanted a place where I’d feel safe to learn…somewhere I wouldn’t feel the pressure of a school that had been the same way forever,” she says, adding that the community’s overwhelmingly positive response has been wonderful. “I think everyone is surprised by what we’ve done so far. It feels like so many people want to be a part of it.”

Another job perk? Location. Admittedly, Roxy loves that she gets to stay in Durango, the place she’s loved for so many years. “I came here because I loved the idea of looking out my window at the mountains,” she says. “But I stayed because of the amazing Fort Lewis professors…and the town and the nice people. This job—it just fell into my lap, but it couldn’t be a more perfect fit.”